Hamas War

Friday, September 16, 2011

Who's Religious?

On Shirat Devorah an important question is asked:
"Who's Religious?"
There's more  to Judaism than Shabbat, Kashrut, kippah and long sleeves.  There are many mitzvot between man and fellow man, concerning how to act in business etc.  Too many people forget this.  We, humans frequently make mistakes when "ranking" the mitzvot.

Chaza"l, our sages say that since repenting the sins between man and his fellow man is much more complicated and difficult than repenting sins against G-d, we must be even more careful in that realm of life.

Those who eat only Mehadrin but attack children (and their parents) who go to non-chareidi religious schools, like what happened in those Ramat Beit Shemesh, are no better than those eating traif.

When my father discovered that I insisted on eating kosher and keeping Shabbat, he was furious:

"My daughter is not going to be a ganniff*."
 
I asked him what he meant by that.

"When I started off as an accountant for the New York State Insurance Fund I was sent to audit, check businesses.  Whenever I checked a business Orthodox Jews, it was crooked."


So I promised him that no only would I eat only kosher and keep Shabbat, but I'd be honest, too.

We're now in the month of Elul, which precedes Rosh Hashannah and Yom Kippur.  It's the time for Teshuva repentance and reflection.  We all have something to improve.

Shabbat Shalom u'Mevorach
Have a Peaceful and Blessed Shabbat

*thief

No comments: