Hamas War

Sunday, November 21, 2010

Another Clue in the Search for the Biblical Ha'Ai

Those of us who believe in G-d know that He plans it all.  Nothing happens just randomly, by chance.  Yesterday, Shabbat, I decided to attend the שיעור נשים Shiur Nashim Women's Torah Class in the "middle" neighborhood.  It was in memory of a neighbor's son, li'ilu'i nishmato,  to "elevate" his soul.  Since we weren't blessed with rain, I figured I'd do an extra mitzvah and walk the kilometer down the hill and then another all the way up the hill to comfort them.

Rabbi Eran Cohen, who is the son-in-law of other neighbors gave it on this Shabbat's Parshat Hashavua, Torah Portion of the week, Vayishlach (Genesis 32:4-36:43).  He mentioned the place "Succot" and said that it's named that because Ya'aqov, Jacob, would be building huts, stables for his livestock.  He said that it's common in the Bible for a place to be named after something that will happen there before it happens.  Suddenly,  bells in my head started ringing and lights flashing.  Could this be an answer to my "Where is Ha'Ai" question?  I've begun studying the entire Bible with Matan in their Al haPerek, correspondence/independent study course.

I must admit that I've been rather obsessive about it, asking all sorts of people.  My neighbor, Yair Shalev, gave me a couple of hours of his time explaining many of the possibilities.  Actually, he was over helping me when I got the call that RivkA had passed away.  One of the explanations Yair gave me was that Ha'Ai means, "the destroyed place,"  and could be any, or more, of the locations the Arabs call "Chirbat..."  That Arabic word is the same as the Hebrew חורבן churban destruction.

So, I interrupted and apologized as profusely as I could and asked the questions:
"Could Joshua's Ha'Ai have been called The Destruction in advance of its destruction?" 
He had never heard that interpretation, so the jury is still out.

Suggestions, ideas are welcome desired.  Thanks

Shavua Tov
Have a Wonderful Week
May G-d Bless Us With Plentiful Rain!

2 comments:

JDL London Canada said...

Good question, I should ask my Rav about that. I wonder if Sodom and Gomorah had a Ha'Ai?

Batya said...

Please do, and let me know his answer. I'm sure there are many answers.