Hamas War

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Well-Meaning But...

The other day a neighbor asked me to photograph him for an article.  He had been interviewed and the newspaper asked him to provide a photograph.  I happily did it.  We both expected that the Washington Jewish Week would have the professional courtesy to at least credit me as photographer.

That wasn't the only surprise.  When I read the article, I discovered that the writer (could it have been a professional journalist?) didn't actually know what happened during, before or after the Six Days War.  Here's the letter I sent to the paper.  I have no idea if it will be published, whether online or in print.  If someone discovers that they've used my letter or credited the photo, I'd appreciate being notified.  Thanks

Here's the photo


Here's the letter I sent:

I am a neighbor of Mark Schoenberg, whom you interviewed for this article.  Actually, I'm the photographer of the picture illustrating the article, which should be indicated by you. 
Shiloh, Gush Etzion, the Golan, Jordan Valley, the Sinai-including Gaza and the rest of Judea and Samaria were not "seized by Israel after the 1967 Six Day War," as you wrote.  They were liberated during the war, a war of self-defense for the state of Israel, then only 19 years old.  Three Arab countries, Jordan, Egypt and Syria banded together in a coordinated attack to destroy the state of Israel.
Israel did not plan on increasing its territory, but the resulting ceasefire lines gave it for the very first time in its short existence viable defensible borders.

No comments: