Hamas War

Monday, June 1, 2009

A New Siddur, The Koren


My husband got me the compact edition of the new first edition bilingual, Hebrew-English Koren Siddur. I should really be italicizing "compact" and putting it in quotation marks.
This Siddur (Jewish Prayer Book) is not a light-weight. It's a very complete Siddur. If you only want one, that's it. Though unless I missed it, it does not include T'hillim, Psalms. Another thing it doesn't have, which is hard to find nowadays, is the T'filat HaDerech, Travelers Prayer for Air Travel.
I haven't yet dovened from it, but it seems that the font is easier for my reading-challenged eyes than the Art Scroll's equivalent siddur.
Koren also went against tradition and printed the Hebrew on the left and English on the right, so it will take a bit to get used to. I'm looking forward to a future bilingual version of its popular Shabbat Chumash (Bible) and Siddur combination, and after that I hope that they do a bilingual T'hilim, Psalms.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

In case you didn't know it, the Koren Siddur has its own website.

Anonymous said...

For those interested, I just called up Koren to ask if they have a Hebrew-only version of the siddur, which is what I want. I was told it's in the pipeline.

Batya said...

Thanks, Shy, and what about the t'filat haderech for air travellers?

Anonymous said...

I just got mine. I had the feeling there is a T'filat ha Derech, although maybe not for air travelers.

Anonymous said...

I have just checked the siddur and you're right; it doesn't contain the special paragraph for people who travel by air. Which is quite surprising since the English version (the original Sachs Siddur) does.

Batya said...

so, ilanadavita, to whom do we complain?

josh said...

I got a shot using it for maariv two weeks ago. They are certainly putting up a fight with artscroll, though I don't see them taking too much ground from them so late. Maybe there are many shuls still needing to replace their Birnbaum's, or maybe a wave of conservatives wanting to use a real siddur?


Some good things:
-the prayer for state of Israel, soldiers and missing soldiers, not relegated to a 'special edition'

-the Hebrew on the left side and English on the right. I thought that this is brilliant especially since Hebrew is the default language for most users anyway.

-Hebrew only Koren siddur already exists, and in several versions, but perhaps not in full size. I know they were first with the Shabbat-only one, and they have a very small compact siddur, but I admit I'm not aware of a regular sized version. Anyway. the beautiful layout of text on every single page is widely acclaimed.

Anonymous said...

I would contact the publisher. I have the marketing Manager's email if you're interested because of a review I wrote on the siddur a few months before it was published. You could try theit website or contact me directly.

Batya said...

josh, ilanadavita, I'll be taking the Koren with me to NY. It's heavier than my pocket (Hebrew only) Rinat Yisrael, but there's so much in it and it's so much easier to read.

Raphael Freeman said...

The Hebrew-only edition (ie still for the USA and with halakha sections and instructions in English) is called the "Talpiot Edition" and is at the printers now.

Batya said...

Thanks for the info

Batya said...

Sounds good; thanks for the info.

Rachel Barenblat said...

The Hebrew-only edition exists in at least three sizes: pocket-sized, regular siddur size, and enormous size to put on a lectern at a bimah. All three are available from Pomeranz Booksellers in Jerusalem: http://www.pomeranzbooks.com