Hamas War

Saturday, September 6, 2008

JA--RIP?

Not that much has been said, at least here, about the Jewish Agency's handing over aliyah responsibilities to Nefesh B'Nefesh.

For decades it has been pretty obvious that the Jewish Agency had lost its focus. It became a big bloated organization spending a lot and fund-raising not enough.

The people dealing with aliyah were no more than bureaucrats, clerks, no vision, excitement etc. Nefesh B'Nefesh filled the vaccum.

Does that mean the end of the JEwish Agency? Good question. What does it do? Shouldn't the government be doing some of the work? I'm sure the JA needs serious streamlining and refocusing.

Actually I worked there for a couple of months before starting my English teaching career. They didn't seem to know what they were doing then, either. It was during the time that Avrum Burg was head honcho. I worked in a department which was supposed to get things moving, changing, but we did absolutely nothing. That's when I had the time and opportunity to first get to know the internet. At one time I was asked to help in the PR or press release department and discovered that some of the workers couldn't even handle a computer. It was pathetic. I don't know if things have improved since then.

Nefesh B'Nefesh seems focused on its goals to facilitate aliyah, and they also handle the imigrants once in Israel. That's the way it should be.

blogger's spellcheck isn't working; please let me know if there's a typo, thanks

No comments: