Hamas War

Thursday, July 24, 2008

"Instant Houses"

I didn't make it to any museums during my recent visit to New York...

As we were driving home, I was as surprised by a new neighborhood as was the driver. It had gone up in a couple of days,
in situ building. (It will take another couple of weeks to actually finish construction.) Of course the instant houses are neither as large nor as luxurious as the ones exhibited in MoMA.

But they're providing homes for Jewish families who want to live in our Biblical Homeland.

4 comments:

goyisherebbe said...

Are those houses built by the Har Kabir company (Scali)? My son Shalom from Yitzhar is a foreman for them. They build mostly caravans, but also a few real houses.

Batya said...

I don't know which company. I wish they real houses and not caravans.

Hadassa DeYoung said...

Shalom!
I can't remember his name, but there's a very well regarded architect who recently came on aliyah from America. His specialty is ecologically friendly houses that are quick and inexpensive to build and maintain. He wants to develop houses suited especially to the Israeli climate and build the houses for the expellee settlements in Lachish. Because he mentioned the expellees the government will probably try to block any R&D that he does, which is a shame for the entire Israeli building industry..
Hadassa

Batya said...

yes, Hadassa, I remember reading about him.
Part of the problem is that Israelis are very conservative about their building methods when it comes to their "real" houses.