Hamas War

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

We Mustn't Forget Sderot




Like many people, the Arab terrorist murder of the eight young men, mostly teenagers, in Merkaz Harav Yeshiva, through me off track.

Earlier that day I had been in Jerusalem, and while walking back to the Central Bus Station, I found myself walking into a demonstration.

Lots of teenage girls with flags and banners proclaiming their love and support for
Sderot.Demonstrating for Sderot 1
Of course, I whipped out my camera and started shooting.

Demonstrating for Sderot 3
I shouldn't have been surprised to find Rabbi Chaim Sultan walking with the girls. That's how I then knew that they were from Ra'aya Girls High School, Beit El. He's their principal and spiritual head. I know the school pretty well, since I once subbed there for four months and I've tested their students a few times for the Oral--Interview English Bagrut exam.
What did surprise me was that Rav Chaim stopped to talk to me, calling me by name. He apologized for taking a water bottle which had my name on it! He explained that he had thought it was his, but then he noticed my name. I told him the background that it was just a bottle the school had given me, since I had tested girls two days in a row, but it really belonged to the school, not me personally.
I don't know if the people of Sderot know about this demonstration, but it made me feel good.

Demonstrating for Sderot 2

2 comments:

Leora said...

Great pictures of these girls! I can't help but compare what these girls are doing to the girls in the UK who protested the Shakespeare questions. This is SO much more worthwhile, in my mind. Young teenage girls have a lot of energy; it's wonderful to see them do something so positive here.

Batya said...

The girls were an inspiration for me. I'm glad I carry my camera for these unplanned events.
And leora, I like this pic the best, so far.