Hamas War

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

not so simple, teach'

Another piece of news which is worse than it sounds...

The Knesset just passed a law mandating kids to remain in school until after the 12th grade. Yes, it sounds wonderful, but there are a couple of downsides:

  1. Not every teen is ready or capable of high school education
  2. The high schools will have a harder job expelling disruptive and unsuitable students!

As a high school English teacher, who specializes in weak students I get stuck with kids who should not be in a regular high school frame work. Some of the students make life literal hell for others. I see them 3 or 4 hours a week, but I teach in a dormitory school, and when I tell the administration that some of my students must go, I'm not being a fuddy dud old lady. I"m experienced enough in what's acceptable behavior and what kid need a more "structured" environment than we can offer.

Now, best intentions do lead to hell and too many kids need a "framework" or school other than the one they were registered in at the age of 14 or 15. Many parents have delusions about their children's capabilities. Or they think that being in a "regular" school will make their kids, just like they wish they were.

No comments: