Hamas War

Friday, May 25, 2007

Why go there?

Actually this title refers to two places...

I don't like giving my money to people who treat us as enemies.

I've always considered the "peace" with Egypt as superficial and farcial. It's not "peace" in my eyes. Over the years various "incidents" and media "coverage" have proven that Egypt does not consider Israel a friend at all. For example the constant anti-Israel and anti-Semitic cartoons and various attacks on Israelis and the subsequent delay of quality first aid.

Recently, Dan Pattir, one of those who actually "brokered" the original deal between Begin and Sadaat was embarrassed when his visa to visit Egypt wasn't honored. Instead of just telling them to %#$ it, he begged and pleaded, using all of his connections, until he and his entourage were finally let in.

Even though I was the one who made the arrangements for my husband and elder son to visit Poland with the yeshiva high school I teach in, personally, I have no desire to go there. I think others should rethink the visits considering the attitude of the Polish media-plus. Most of the Israeli and Jewish youngsters who take the "Holocaust Tour" are serious and well-behaved. The fact that the Polish media only stresses the negative just shows that they haven't changed since their enthusiastic assistance to the Nazi murders.

Our true HERITAGE TOUR
should be here in Eretz Yisrael,
the Land of Israel.

Our history began here in
Shiloh, Beersheva,

Jerusalem, Beit El and
Shechem!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Baruch hashem, my wife and I have really no desire anymore to 'see places'. I know Rabbi Hirsch justified seeing the great vistas of Switzerland, but even with my company sending me around the world, I simply don't want to sightsee. If I happen to see BigBen or the Eiffel Tower, I consider it a coincidence. I can see the world on my computer or in books. I don't think people whould have to spend hundreds of dollars on airplane gas + some hospitality to 'see the world' but that's only my opinion too.

Given that, we've been to Poland on a 'Holocaust Tour' (before moving to the Shomron). While I agree with your idea not to go to Egypt (for the above reasons), I think that it would otherwise be very hard to replace the visual impact of a week in the country of death called Poland. On one hand, I think that the marvelous settler youth who grow up [mostly] without goyish culture don't need that impact because they already have it from their day to day lives living in the most Jewish areas of our history. But most other Jews around the country and world don't have that spiritual base and are clueless to ancient Israel, so visiting Poland to get a spiritual fix is a 'cheap' replacement.

Now that I think of it, I sort of remember the feeling of sitting on a bus filled with Jews, or walking around Warsaw while the Poles started back at us, was not unlike the look we now get driving around Yesha, or getting on a bulletproof bus to get around.

Batya said...

I really wonder how long the "influence" of those tours last. Lehavdil, like the one week "Birthright" trips for Diaspora young adults.

Anonymous said...

The influence lasts as long as the individual wants it. C'mon, you know that as parents, educating our kids is an obligation, but it absolutely does not guarantee results.

I do not think about the Poland trip I went on everyday, or even several times a year, but when I do think about it, or when I need to use some experience from it, I can.

On the otherhand, birthright is a more active tour. The Holocaust tour is more like a passive museum tour, but Birthright? Young Jewish (mostly unreligious) boys and girls hanging out together on a two week fun trip achieves two things, intimately - exposes Jews to Israel, and exposes Jews to each other.

Batya said...

It's very individual.
Personally I feel things so intensely without the need to be there.
As I wrote, I'm the one who made the arrangements for my husband and son's visit.