Hamas War

Thursday, September 7, 2006

Opposition Leader?


During the last Israeli Elections, Avigdor Lieberman campaigned well and hard. photo credit It'll take more than prayers to get what he wants.

He's a powerful man. A few years ago, when wandering around Kikar Zion, the downtown "square" in Jerusalem, I suddenly felt a stare. I looked around and noticed Lieberman standing just outside "Marcel's," the popular barbershop. He was "taking in" the crowds. As a teacher, I really envy that talent. He's the type who can walk into a noisy crowded room, and suddenly, without doing "anything," all the attention's on him.

The world is starting to take notice, and they should. Even Newsweek has him featured in a comprehensive interview, a privilege rarely given to anybody to the right of Ehud Olmert.

Lieberman is a decade younger than Bibi Netanyahu. His "other language" is Russian rather than English. Their styles are very different; though I have a feeling that their actual policies, especially under pressure, are the same. Even though I wish there was more choice, it seems like there isn't anyone besides those two jostling for national leadership.

At this point I couldn't say which I prefer. Is anybody ready to vote?

No comments: