Hamas War

Tuesday, May 9, 2006

Jerusalem vs Tel Aviv

I just read an interesting post by Nathan about his moving to Tel Aviv.

Like many immigrants he felt that he must live in Jerusalem, but after over a year there he has packed his bags and moved to Tel Aviv. Jerusalem just isn't the city for him. I'd be happier if he would have used the analogy of shoes. What's comfortable for one, may be painful on another.

My husband and I made aliyah to Jerusalem, and I didn't realize how unsuited it was for me until I got to Shiloh. We were in Jerusalem for eleven years, including two years in London on shlichut as Betar youth movement leaders.

This upcoming September 1st will be 25 years since we moved to Shiloh. It's longer than either of us lived anyplace else, including our native New York. We were all of 21 and 23 when we made aliyah.

I've always felt it important to make aliyah to Israel and not to a specific place, since you never know what will happen once you're here. If you look at the entire Land as your goal, then it's easier to be flexible. Too many people leave, since their specific plans didn't work out.

Good luck, Nathan!

3 comments:

Jack Steiner said...

That is Sage advice.

NG said...

Batya, thanks for the good wishes. I agree that moving to Israel is the most important thing and that living in one place over another within the land of Israel is all a matter of preference - and that's a good thing, since Israel really has something for *almost* everybody.

Batya said...

you're welcome
but why the "almost?"