Hamas War

Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Is Yom Kippur Still a Big Draw for Assimilated Jews?

I know there still are Jews who show up to shul on Rosh Hashanah to hear the shofar and then again on Yom Kippur for a quick visit to ask Gd to give them "life," or whatever.

When I was growing up, my father was one of them. Besides a family Bar Mitzvah or something similar, he didn't consider it "going to shul" important to make time for. Many of those "twice a year shul goers," were young. Not only did shuls fill, but they had to rent larger places, erect tents and hire rabbi/cantors to lead services. There were different prices for the "regular cantor" and the "hired" one. And in many communities, they didn't have a regular synagogue, with a rabbi, but they'd hire someone. And lots of capable and not so capable rabbinic students or just anyone willing and able, make good money  for a few days' work.

nefesh
In all honesty, I'm curious, interested in knowing what the situation is today. Do synagogues that are empty most of the year suddenly get Jews anxious to pray?

I'd like to know, so please give reply in comments, thanks.

2 comments:

Rose said...

I would guess less so. Because they don't have the training to be comfortable going.

Batya said...

That's my guess. Does your shul get more "only Rosh Hashanah/Yom Kippur" requests for seats? And what about others in the area?