Hamas War

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

"Living Beyond Terrorism," A Book Review

When I heard about the book "Living Beyond Terrorism" by  Zieva Konvisser, Publisher: Gefen Publishing House, I just knew I had to review it. Of course I had to, because I'm a surivor of an Arab terror attack. I was even lightly wounded.

The people and families written about in this book makes everything I experienced "small potatoes." 

Living Beyond Terrorism was davka hard for me to get into. I began reading it weeks and weeks ago. And then more than half way through there were sections I just couldn't put down.

It's basically a compilation of reports with updates about the Arab terror victims, many who make a point of calling themselves "survivors" and the family members of people killed/murdered in Arab terror attacks. A few of the subjects are Arabs, themselves. No politics is brought up. It's a book about the people.  But there is one very glaring fact, at least to me. It seems like the majority of the terror attacks take place in what we could euphemistically call "Israel proper" or inside the "green line." The fatal attacks took place in Tel Aviv, Haifa, Jerusalem and other places.

Living Beyond Terrorism is not a book about the dangers of living in Judea and Samaria. If I were to sum it up, I'd make that point. Arab terrorists target Israelis all over the country, because their aim is to destroy the State of Israel and replace it with a terror state. That is not Konvisser's message; it's mine.

I found it interesting that some of the people, although claiming that they are functioning fine refused to allow Konvisser to use their names. For others that wasn't a problem.

For many people the injuries have caused long-term and permanent medical problems. And others still suffer emotional pain and post trauma syndrome, which is the profession of Konvisser. The book is the compilation of interviews and evaluations done over a period of years with terror attack survivors, victims and the bereaved. It's not a book everyone can get through. It wasn't cohesively edited.

This is a book for people brave and curious enough to try to understand and feel how others feel who have been attacked, injured and violated. It may also be good for those who are trying to recover from terror and need to know that their feelings are normal.

Right now Israel is suffering through a war for its survival, and unfortunately the tools to help the traumatized, the injured, the survivors and the bereaved are desperately needed.

Format: Paperback
ISBN 10: 9652296430
ISBN 13: 9789652296436
Catalog Number: 9789652296436
Number of Pages: 356
Year Published: 2014

No comments: