Hamas War

Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Deja Vu, I'll Never Forget My Panic When My Kids Didn't Come Home on Time

There's no laxative that activates the kishkes like the panic I'd go through when waiting past the "should be home by now" time in the days my kids commuted to school and even work, while living at home here in Shiloh.


So I would just hate to be in the shoes of those three lovely families who are waiting almost two weeks already for their sons, brothers, nephews, grandson's etc. to be released by terrorists and allowed home to continue their ordinary lives. Watch and listen to Naftali Frankel's mother Racheli speak to the United Nations Human Rights Council, UNHRC.:


We've been living in Shiloh for almost thirty-three years, and from that first year until my fourth child finished junior high school over fourteen years later, there was usually at least one who was commuting daily. Not only was this before the days of cellphones, but for the first year we lived in Shiloh, we didn't have a phone in the house and for the first few months there wasn't even one in the neighborhood.  Talk about isolation....

As busy as I was as a mother of young children and working at various outside jobs I'd be counting the minutes, then the seconds until their expected returns home. If the expected time had passed, I'd begin to panic. I certainly never would have needed colonic irrigation during those years.

Times Square
My joy and relief at children's safe return was like the daily dropping of the "New Year's Ball" at Times Square. A safe uneventful trip was not something I or my children could take for granted. My kids experienced traffic accidents and terror attacks. Sometimes the stories were even humorous, but most of the delays had more unpleasant reasons.

More than once I'd find myself contacting security to ascertain if it was known where the vehicle transporting them could be. Just before cellphones became the norm, there was a communications service, Kesher Binyamin, in which members had an open speaker from which they heard announcements and could verbally answer. One evening a couple of hours after I had expected my daughter's return, I called her employer who confirmed that she had left on time, so I contacted security.  They sent out an alert asking if anyone had seen her. That's how we tracked her down. The car's driver had done a couple of mitzvot and errands on the way home which was the reason for the delay. Once I knew she was safe, I, and my kishkes, could calm down.

Another time, my son wasn't home long after he should have been from junior high school in Beit El. I saw the neighbor's son home. He didn't remember if mine was on the school bus, so I ran over to other neighbors to ask what to do and see if their son had seen him.  That's where I found my son; he was watching tv with his friend. After getting off the bus, he went there to bring the homework assignment to his friend who hadn't been in school that day. My neighbors apologized profusely for not realizing that he hadn't been home yet.

Baruch Hashem, thank G-d, my stories all end happily. Let's all pray that there will be safe and happy returns home for Gilad Michael Ben Bat Galim, Yaccov Naftali Ben Rachel Devora and Eyal ben Iris Teshura.


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please HaShem...

Anonymous said...

With all due respect the UN is hardly the solution. Since when have the goyim (as a collective, not individuals) ever helped us? If they don't even care about 100,000 dead Sryians, why do we expect them to care about three Jews. See the video at Israel Matsav. The UN does not even accept that they have been kidnapped, and calls them young men, as opposed to minors or children, which they are at law. The only solution is tefila and a proper Israeli response.

Batya said...

Every single thing must be tried. G-d will decide what is enough. The families know that the UN isn't all powerful or just. But we live in This World. Life is made of kodesh and chol.

defiantjewess said...

this will continue until our nation rises up and realizes that this is a long protracted war- these people read Mein Kamp and are going by the book. They intend to destroy us. They are not isolated incidents. Every fire, every rock, every bomb, every kidnapping, every rocket is part of a whole- they need to be liquidated before its done to us. the language used is all wrong, they are not terrorists, they are enemy combatants, these are not terrorist acts, the are acts of war. Shalom

Unknown said...

I am stunned that there are no serious demands on Bibi to take this to war, and finally rid Israel of this black, evil blight upon us. the world is silent while mass extinctions take place in sudan and somalia, and christians are murdered in Egypt. ISIS is on the march. And here we are, with enough firepower to end our problems, all the means to destroy the enemy and yet we are acting like we are defenseless. following the dictates of the "international community" which is as anti-Semitic as it was during ww2. Maybe more. Just playing tit for tat is a waste of everyone's time and energy. Are we serious about survival or not? I wonder.

Unknown said...

defiantjewess@gmail.com Just to let you know I lost someone dear to me in 73 to an arab bullet, right before the Yom Kippur war. I presently have a daughter in the IDF. We are very proud, and her sacrifice means a lot to us.



shalom

defiantjewess said...


the result of this kidnapping should be the complete elimination of both PA and Hamas as functioning political entities on the West bank. This means the arrests and removal of probably 1000 of the top PA ringleaders. Israel should withdraw recognition of the PA and negotiate for co-existence with each of the major arab population centers- Those who wish to live in peace will be treated accordingly. Those who chose war will be walled off and placed under SIEGE.

Batya said...

defiantjewess, thanks for all the comments. good points. I've been promoting the death penalty for all Arab terrorist who even attempt to kill a Jew. Don't give them another chance!