Hamas War

Thursday, February 6, 2014

Phoenix Botanical Gardens Leaves Out Israel

I had a really lovely visit at the Phoenix Botanical Gardens, Desert Botanical Garden with my sister and cousin while in Arizona.  It's a stunning place, though the colors are mostly browns and greens except for the CHIHULY IN THE GARDEN glass sculptures that dot the landscape in various guises, some more successfully than others.




The visit was marred by an unnecessary omission.



Considering that I've lived in Israel since 1970, I know with certainty that I live in a desert, which is included the concept of "near a desert."  There's little humidity and our rain is restricted to a few short months of the year.  So when I saw that sign asking if I live in a desert I was expecting to find Israel listed among the countries on the map.  Granted that not every country you'd find in an atlas is listed, but being a loyal enthusiastic Israeli patriot to me Israel is the most important, even if not the largest, country there is.

And of course being such a loyal patriotic Israeli I'm rather hypersensitive to such omissions.  Isn't Israel the most important country in the world?  Isn't it the center of world affairs?  Doesn't the world's moral magnifying glass, compass or microscope focus on Israel more than any other country?  From the perspective of the editorial staff of prominent international newspapers, magazines etc. you'd think that Israel was a country of a billion people at least.  Considering the amount of time the United Nations General Assembly, Security Council and its various humanitarian organizations spend on what's happening or what they claim is happening in Israel, you'd certainly think that Israel is the largest and most volatile country in the world.  So, I don't think that I am unrealistic to have expected to see Israel listed along with Egypt and Saudi Arabia.

At present, Israel is suffering from an unusually dry winter.  Besides the great blizzard, and rainfall in the warmer parts of the country, in December 2013, we've hardly had more than a few moments' rain.  This is very worrying.  Davka, Arizona is also suffering from a record-breaking lack of rain.

I hope that nobody blames me.  Last year I claimed that I had been gypped, because it rained or was very cloudy all through my winter visit to Arizona....

5 comments:

Pesky Settler said...

Did you say anything to anyone at the museum?

Hadassa said...

Shalom!
Notice how on the map countries that have deserts are labeled by capital city and country. It seems to me that the management wanted to avoid the "What's the capital of Israel?" question. That still doesn't excuse them from listing Israel in the list of countries. Being as ALL of Israel is colored the map's "desert color" the omission is particularly obvious.

Shy Guy said...

In all honesty, the map doesn't bother me. As Batya mentioned, plenty of other countries with deserts are not listed.

Batya said...

Pesky, that didn't seem useful, since I think the exhibit was done ages ago. And the relatives with me would have had me committed.

Hadassa, good point. I think more countries were listed on another sign, but we weren't included. I did sign in and specifically wrote that I'm from Israel.

Shy, yes, but...

Ploni said...

Yemen, Syria, Jordan and Iraq are also not listed, all have desert. I think it's better to be ignored when after all, we are a tiny state. There is no reason for anyone to focus on us ever.