Hamas War

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

We Truly Are An עם רוחני Am Ruchani

In Hebrew, רוח ru'ach means both wind and spirit and is also the linguistic root for spiritual, רוחני ruchani.

During yesterday's extremely enjoyable time helping my granddaughters fly their handmade
kites in the Israel Museum, the title to this post was flying around my head, like a hyperactive fly.


The outdoor gardens were full of people, all sorts of people, in all sorts of dress. The "day" didn't belong to just one type.


Even when multiple kite strings got tangled up, and they sure did, the mood stayed friendly and cheerful.


Periodically there were announcements that Mincha minyanim would be forming, so anyone who wanted to pray the Jewish Afternoon Prayer could gather at a specific place. I don't remember that from museum events when my own children were young.

Today religion is more "natural" and unembarrassed. Years ago, men (and women) who wanted to pray would look for an unobtrusive corner, hidden from public view.

This kite, flying high above was made by my granddaughter, in the kite-making workshop. Grandmothers can brag, can't they?



I don't know when the festivities ended, but I'm sure it was difficult for the museum staff to send people home.

עם ישראל חי

Am Yisrael Chai

The People of Israel Lives!!

No comments: